Statement of Faith
This statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For LCS’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy and discipline, the Church Council of GBC Lanham is the institution’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.
- We believe the Bible is the Word of God, verbally inspired in all parts and is wholly without error as originally given by God (II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:21).
- We believe the one true God exists eternally as three persons—the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (Luke 3:22; Matthew 28:19; II Corinthians 13:14).
- We believe the Lord Jesus Christ preexisted as God the Son (John 1:1-3), became man by virgin birth (John 1:14; Matthew 1:18-23), lived a sinless life (Hebrews 4:15), died a sacrificial death as a substitute for our sins (II Corinthians 5:21), was bodily resurrected (Luke 24:36-43), ascended into heaven (Hebrews 4:14-16) and is coming again (Acts 1:11).
- We believe the Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4). He is a person (John 16:7-15) at work in the life of each believer: baptizing and indwelling (I Corinthians 12:13; Romans 8:9), filling (Ephesians 5:18) and empowering for Christian life and service (Acts 1:8; Galatians 5:22-23; Ephesians 3:16).
- We believe man is a direct creation in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-28). Man subsequently fell into sin resulting in spiritual death (Genesis 3:1-24; Romans 5:12), and needs new birth for his salvation (John 3:3-5).
- We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. Together, these two distinct, complementary genders reflect the image and nature of God (Genesis 1:26-27). Rejection of one’s biological gender is a rejection of the image of God within the individual.
- We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union (Genesis 2:18-25). We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other (1 Corinthians 6:18; 7:2-5; Hebrews 13:4).
- We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality and incest) is sinful and offensive to God (Matthew 15:18-20; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10).
- We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect and dignity (Mark 12:28-31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed towards any individual are not in accord with Scripture.
- We believe salvation is complete and eternal, provided by God’s grace alone, received as the gift of God through personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5-7; I Peter 1:18-19).
- We believe the one true church is the body and bride of Christ (Ephesians 1:22-23; 5:25-32), composed of all true believers of the present age (I Corinthians 12:12-13). Its members are organized into local churches for worship of God, edification of believers and world-wide gospel witness, being autonomous but cooperating in fellowship and work (Ephesians 4:11-16).
- We believe the Christian life is a life of righteousness, good works and separation unto God from the evil ways of the world (Romans 12:1-2). It is manifested by speaking the truth (James 5:12), exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and maintaining a life of prayer (Ephesians 6:18; Philippians 4:6).
- We believe Satan exists as the great personal adversary of God and His people (Revelation 12:1-10). He has been judged (John 12:31), and is finally doomed (Revelation 20:10).
- We believe in the personal, visible and premillennial second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; the time being unrevealed but always imminent (I Thessalonians 4:16-17).
- We believe the future life includes the conscious existence of the dead (Philippians 1:21-23; Luke 16:19-31), the resurrection of the body (John 5:28-29), the judgment and condemnation of unbelievers (Revelations 20:11-15), the eternal life of the saved (John 3:16) and the everlasting punishment of the lost (Matthew 25:46; Revelation 20:15).